Science Mathematics Initiative
In the UC NEWS...
"Cal Teach Inspires Future Math and Science Teachers"
The California Teach Science/Mathematics Initiative (CaTEACH-SMI) is a new UC program initiated by an agreement between the Governor of California and the University of California President.
Why is NOW the time to prepare for a career in teaching science and mathematics?There is currently a critical shortfall of qualified science and mathematics teachers in California classrooms. Because of this shortage, prospective science and mathematics teachers are extremely competitive in securing positions soon after graduation.
They are able to:
- find internship jobs immediately upon graduation at salaries comparable to entry-level credentialed teachers; these intern opportunities often lead to permanent teaching positions
- find job openings in the school district of their desire
- gain negotiating power in determining their starting permanent salaries
- become emerging leaders in the school districts and communities
- benefit from the financial incentives, including loan-forgiveness programs, offered through the government